Friday, November 11, 2011

NaNoWriMo Update: Hitting the Wall

I knew it might happen, but was woefully unprepared for it.  On Thursday, I hit the wall.  The late nights and sitting in front of the computer so much caught up with me.  I logged fewer than 500 words for the day and was in bed before 10:30 p.m.

Not all was lost, though.  I took my notebook with me and plotted the next scene--the heroine's introduction to the people in the town she originally hated.  It's a turning point for her and for the story, too, where place becomes home.

Here's what Paperback Writer (www.pbackwriter.blogspot.com) had to say today about NaNo and intensive writing of this sort:

"Writing professionally is an endurance marathon, and this is one of those tough stretches in the process when you find out if you have what it takes to be a successful writer. We don't stop when the new and shiny wears off. Successful writers find ways to avoid or at least stall other ideas distract them from the work. We do whatever we can to shut their door in the face of that no-treats, all-tricks doubt. If something dumps us in a trash can, we climb right back out and keep writing. No matter how much it hurts. No matter how much we don't want to."


I'm going to take this advice and keep on keeping on.  If you're like me and have the voices of characters rattling around in your head, we really have no choice.

Happy writing!



No comments:

Post a Comment