Thursday, May 5, 2011

Just Call Me Nature Girl

My favorite thing about working outside (translation: on the screened porch) is watching what goes on in the natural world. I’ve already mentioned my revelation about the whirlybirds on the maple trees, but I don’t think I reported when all the mating began. Wow, it’s been busy out there.

Business at the feeders has been brisk. I have six squirrels this year (they’re pigs, I tell you…pigs with fur and tails!) and when they started to mate they went at it hammer and tongs. I was concerned that someone was going to get hurt, but so far all is well. I should have noted the date it all started and then looked up the gestation period of the gray squirrel, but it was easier to just sit and let the spring breezes waft over me. I’ll save all the naturalist stuff for next year.

Also have three pairs of cardinals this year, and oh, were they ever sweet during mating. One pair would fly to the roof of the storage building in my neighbor’s yard and the female would wait while the male flew to the feeder, selected a morsel (black oil sunflower seeds this year) and brought it back to her. Then he’d feed her and return to the feeder for another offering. I wasn’t surprised then, when small dark flying objects started dive-bombing the back yard on Sunday evening. Fledgling cardinals are not known for their aerobatic control, but I knew they’d improve as time went by. They were back this evening, led by Mama and Papa Cardinal. Neither of the fledglings ever made it to the feeders, though they came close to figuring out the landing part. They stayed mostly in the maple tree, quietly chirping the whole time, so that Mama and Papa would know where they were. Can’t wait until tomorrow for a return visit.

In other news, the love bugs are swarming, the lizards (actually brown anoles) are showing their flags and I actually had a hummingbird fly through the yard. Unfortunately, the feeder was drying on the kitchen counter. I’ve changed the process for cleaning it—I cook and cool the sugar water before I bring in the feeder. That way I’ve got it back outside in under five minutes.

On the writing front, I’ve developed plots for two new short contemporary romances this week. Ideas are rising, just like sap, and the muse is happy at last.


UPDATE: The fledgling cardinals returned to the feeder with their parents on Thursday, then by themselves on Friday. They're still chirping constantly, which leads me to think Mom and Dad are nearby. All is well in the natural world.

No comments:

Post a Comment