Friday, May 6, 2011

Hurricanes on the Brain

I’ve got hurricanes on my mind today, which is strange, because the weather is so perfect here. Highs in the high 80s, breezy, a bit of a shower around noon.

It won’t be like this for long, though, this being Florida. Wicked hot weather is on its way. I’ve learned that from my experience as a 25-year Florida girl.

Hurricane season starts in about a month, but that’s not the only reason I’m considering the weather. For an exercise at my RWA chapter meeting tomorrow we’re going to work on plotting a hurricane story.

Like every other writer in the southeast I have the seed of a hurricane story in my head. The hero is a widowed state senator, at a low point in his career and popularity after a drunk driving arrest. The heroine is a widowed stay-at-home mom, forced to go back to work after her husband’s death. Both have pre-teen daughters who attend the same school and hate each other. Because I remember the unpredictability of Hurricane Charley when he visited Florida with his friends Frances and and Jeanne, I’m setting this one in an upscale community on the Gulf coast.

If my idea is selected for the exercise tomorrow I may go home with a completed plot.

That would be an extremely exciting prospect if it weren’t for the fact that I already have five other projects in production. Plus that half-formed idea for my NaNoWriMo book.

Oh, heck. Why not make it six? The more the merrier, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment