Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Fast Food for Writers, part 2

With NaNoWriMo taking up so much of my time I completely forgot to post on Monday.  I was determined to post today with the second of my fast and easy dishes for others who have their noses to the electronic grindstone, aka, their computers.

I've had this recipe for almost thirty years.  It was given to me by a friend in Bardstown, Kentucky, and it has spread throughout my family, undergoing many subtle changes.  Here's my favorite version.

Creamy Baked Chicken Breasts (also known as Chicken and Cheese, Cheezy Chicken and That Chicken Dish).  This is a great pot luck dish.  It can be multiplied with no loss of deliciousness.



Creamy Baked Chicken Breasts

4 small (or two large chicken breasts, divided into 4 portions)
4 slices swiss cheese
1 can Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can milk
1 cup Pepperidge Farm Herbed dry stuffing mix
4 T melted butter or margerine

Spray 9 inch square or other baking dish with release agent (Pam is good).  Season chicken to taste with salt and pepper and place in dish.  Put a slice of Swiss cheese on top of each chicken piece.  Mix soup and milk and pour on top of cheese.  Sprinkle with stuffing mix.  Drizzle with butter.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until chicken tests done.

Serve on rice, brown or white.  Green beans are soooo good with this dish.

Note:  My sister-in-law substitutes 3/4 cup cooking sherry for the milk and her dish turns out mighty fine.  Of course, she is one of the South's best cooks, so she could probably put swamp water in it and it would be good.  Not that I'm suggesting you put swamp water in this recipe, but, I'm just saying.

You can put this dish together in the time it takes for the oven to pre-heat, so you won't use up that much of your writing time to get it in the oven.   Be sure to set the timer, though, if you're one of those who gets lost in the story.  Like me. 

Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment