Monday, February 13, 2012

"Brrrr" Is Not A Word

We've had a chilly couple of days here in the usually sunny South, although we're expecting temps in the 80s by the end of the week.  The birds and squirrels are keeping me busy, since the cooler it gets the more seeds they need to keep up their energy.

I'm expending most of my energy on a new project I started.  What? you say?  What happened to the other projects that languish in various stages of completion (I wanted to say unfinishedness, but I don't think that's a word, either)?

I think my worst habit as a writer is jumping from story to story, getting all caught up in the new and ignoring the not-quite-old but not-quite-done.

I also use too many dashes and parenthetical asides, but that's another matter.

Since I love charts and calendars and tracking devices I'm tempted to begin scheduling my writing time a little more tightly than I have in the past.  Most of the writing I've done on the new project (it's a coming of age story that takes place in Kentucky) has been in the evening.  Maybe I should work on editing/rewriting the cowboy stories at another time during the day.  Maybe I could substitute writing time for my house cleaning time!

The more I think about that idea the more I think I'd like it.  Or would, until I found myself awash in a sea of dirty laundry and comtemplating renting a front end loader to remove the tracked-in dirt from the living room floor.

Back to the drawing board...

Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment