Friday, August 5, 2011

Donating Blood

I donated blood today, as I have every two months or so since retiring from my library career.  I chose today because it's my father's birthday.  Had he beat the cancer that took his life he would have been 90 today.

My dad's blood type was AB negative, so much more exotic than my garden variety B positive.  Growing up I remember the occasional calls he would get from the local hospital with requests that he hurry over and donate a pint because of someone who was having emergency surgery or was involved in an accident.  He always went willingly.  In later years I know he donated at the local blood mobile but I have no idea how many gallons of blood he donated in his lifetime.  I've yet to make it to one gallon.  My brother, another frequent donor, has t-shirts and key-chain medallions heralding his many donations. 

I guess you could say donating blood is our family tradition.

Here's what the American Red Cross says about blood donations:

Every minute of every day, someone needs blood. That blood can only come from a volunteer donor, a person like you who makes the choice to donate. There is no substitute for your donation.

When you make a blood donation, you join a very select group. Currently only 3 out of every 100 people in America donate blood.

From its beginning, the American Red Cross has formed a community of service, of generous, strong and decent people bound by beliefs beyond themselves. The American Red Cross blood donor embodies this principle.

To learn more about blood donation opportunities, visit www.redcrossblood.org/ or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733 2767).

I hope you'll thing about making blood donation a part of your schedule.  It's painless and convenient.  And you lose a pound!

No comments:

Post a Comment