Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What I'm Reading (YA Edition)

I was browsing on B&N.com last week ordering Tangled (Have you seen it? It's too cute) and to round out the order (love that free shipping) I bought A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly. It came out in 2003 and I don't know how I missed it, because it has a Theodore Dreiser connection.

From the back cover:

Sixteen-year-old Mattie Gokey has big dreams but little hope of seeing them come true. Desperate for money, she takes a job at the Glenmore, where hotel guest Grace Brown asks her to burn a bundle of secret letters. But when Grace's drowned body is fished from the lake, Mattie discovers the letters reveal the grim truth behind a murder.

Set in 1906 against the backdrop of the murder that inspired Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy, this astonishing novel weaves romance, history and a murder mystery into something moving, real and wholly original.

I just started it today and I'm already impressed with the wonderful descriptions and characterizations.

YA. It's not just for kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment