Wednesday, July 6, 2011

On The Road

I'm in Kentucky this week, visiting family, breaking in a new writing partner and searching out some old haunts.
Who's the new writing partner? His name is Inky and he's an adorable little wildman. Here he is, thinking up new plot lines:
Inky spends a LOT of time thinking up new plot lines.
I took a side trip to Bernheim Arboretum today. Bernheim is probably the most beautiful place on earth, but don't tell anybody. I want to keep it to myself.
Here's Inky in his little doggy house when I got back:
He was a very good dog while I was gone. He got a Milk Bone dog biscuit as a reward. Later he helped me fill bird feeders and water plants. Then he tore a paper towel into a million pieces and let me pick up the pieces. VERY good dog.
Bernheim Forest, where I went hiking, is in Bullitt County, Kentucky, about fifteen miles from historic Bardstown. Since I was there last they've built a new Visitor Center. It's a sustainable, certified green building, almost all windows, tucked in to a wooded area and looks like it popped right out of the ground.
Here's the beginning point of my favorite trail, Rock Run.
Rock Run loops through the forest between trees and around rocks. There's a gully that runs down the middle of the loop, which, luckily wasn't too wet. Sometimes, if I don't have on my hip waders, I have to turn around and go back. Not so today. It was a wonderful walk, mostly.
Here is a picture of the place where I fell the first time:
I didn't bother to take a picture of the place where I fell the second time.
And except for seeing the biggest horsefly I have ever seen in my life (when I heard it coming I thought it was a helicopter) I didn't see any other wildlife.
I hated to leave, but time was awastin' and critters were awaitin'. My last view was of these pink Black-eyed Susans. Don't have anything like this in the yard back in Florida.
Happy hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment